Modern Foreign Languages
Curriculum Statement of Intent for Modern Foreign Languages
At Hendal Primary School our aim is to develop children’s acquisition of language skills alongside providing an understanding of the diversity of different cultures. In Key Stage 2 children are taught French.
We will develop opportunities for the children to read, speak and write in a modern foreign language as well as providing fun and interesting activities that teach pupils about cultural differences.
We teach the children to know and understand how to:
· Ask and answer questions and engage in conversations
· Listen attentively and show understanding by joining in and responding
· Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes, and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
· Use correct pronunciation and intonation
· Speak in sentences
· Memorise words
· Interpret meaning
· Understand basic grammar
· Write phrases from memory
· Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
· Compare life in other countries to our own
· Work in pairs and groups, and communicate in a modern foreign language
· Look at life in another culture
· Describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
Please click the link below to view the Progression Steps in Modern Foreign Languages.