Science at Hendal Primary School
Science at Hendal Primary School provides children with high-quality scientific experiences that builds on children’s prior knowledge and skills, whilst raising aspirations for all. We aim to provide children with opportunities to develop acquisition of key scientific vocabulary. This is encouraged and supported across all year groups through teaching and through our purposeful and supportive working walls. We aim to develop children’s lively enquiry minds throughout all areas of Science. Each week, sequential lessons are taught to enable children to gain the knowledge and skills to confidently answer the term’s Science Enquiry Question. This is supported through providing children with opportunities to learn through experience, as well as involving outside partnerships to ensure children gain a meaningful science curriculum, that sparks their natural curiosity, equipping them with a deeper understanding of the world around them.
The National Curriculum aims for science to ensure that all pupils:
• develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
• develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
• are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
We will achieve this by:
• Providing children with purposeful opportunities to learn through experience.
• Teaching a progression of lessons that sully support children in building on prior knowledge and skills from EYFS to Year 6.
• Teaching pupils the foundations for understanding the world.
• Raising aspirations by linking our Science topics to future careers and positive role models linked to science.
• Exposing children to a variety of scientific vocabulary to ensure children can articulate scientific concepts clearly and precisely.
• Encouraging children to pose questions and investigate answers through comparative and fair tests.
• Ensuring children have practical experiences to identify, classify, pattern seek and observe within scientific enquiry.
• Encouraging opportunities for children to apply their mathematical knowledge to their understanding of science, including collecting, presenting and analysing data.
• Encouraging cross-curricular links, to deepen children’s understanding of scientific concepts.
Through this we ensure children gain a sense of belonging in order to support them in becoming confident learners, as well as raising aspirations for all so that children gain the confidence, knowledge and skills to achieve.
Please click on the link below to view the content and progression of Science at Hendal Primary School