Curriculum Statement of Intent for English
At Hendal Primary School our aim is develop young readers and writers who are able to reason, discern, think critically, develop a love of reading and writing across a range of genres.
We will achieve this by:
- Planning for progression of skills in reading and writing from EYFS to Year 6
- Providing regular opportunities for children to develop their oracy, speaking and listening skills so they can communicate ideas clearly and learn from discussion
- Teaching a rigorous phonics programme to ensure pupils are fluent, confident readers who show good understanding.
- Being good reading role models and foster and enjoyment of a wide range of literature.
- Teaching pupils to form letters correctly, use punctuation accurately and present work to a high standard.
- Expose pupils to a wide range of vocabulary and grammar conventions used in reading and writing.
- Encouraging pupils to play with language and write imaginatively.
- Developing an experiential learning environment that is exciting, interesting and stimulating, this includes educational visits and external providers coming into school.
- Provide opportunities for cross-curricular links to help deepen children’s understanding of how to apply writing skills for different purposes and audiences.