Mrs Bentham is our Computing Subject Leader
Hendal Primary School
Curriculum Statement of Intent for Computing
At Hendal Primary School our aim is to develop pupil’s computational thinking and creativity to understand and change the world. We ensure Computing skills are embedded throughout the curriculum, providing children with essential lifelong skills. Computing is an integral part of modern day life and therefore provides a wealth of learning opportunities, explicitly within computing and also across other curriculum subjects. Through the study of computing, children are able to develop a wide range of fundamental skills, knowledge and understanding that they will need for the rest of their lives. Computing skills are essential in enabling children to be confident, creative and independent learners and it is our intention that children have every opportunity available to allow them to achieve this.
We will achieve this by:
- Teaching pupils to become familiar with and skilled in using computational technology and programming software.
- Pupils having access to equipment which supports pupils’ learning and individual needs.
- Equipping pupils to use computational thinking and creativity to be active participants in the today’s digital world.
- Ensuring that computing is integrated into the curriculum and underpins teaching and learning, assessment, reporting and recording within the school.
- Providing access to a range of equipment to support pupils and staff. Desktop computers and laptops, whiteboards, control and data logging technology, digital cameras and tablet PCs that create a challenging and stimulating environment inside and outside the classroom.
- Planning for progression of skills from EYFS to Y6.
- Encouraging cross-curricular links to help deepen children’s understanding of computational thinking and creativity.
Please click the link to view the Content and Progression in Computing