Miss Chapman is our Art and Design Subject Leader
Curriculum Statement of Intent for Art and Design
At Hendal Primary School our Art and Design curriculum will engage, inspire and challenge pupils. Our learning environment is a gallery of the outstanding art work that children have created.
The curriculum equips pupils with the knowledge and skills to experiment invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. Children showcase this process through the use of their own sketchbook.
As pupils progress, they will be given opportunities to critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of Art and Design and will share this through discussion and written work and evaluations.
Children will also be encouraged to discuss and learn how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of Great Britain and the Wider World. Teachers plan carefully to ensure children are exposed and learn about the art work of many famous artists.
Children will build strong links with the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield and take part in exciting workshops and competitions throughout their time at Hendal. Children’s work is then displayed around school as a celebration of their achievements.
The aims of art and design in our school are:
· To enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work.
· To develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities.
· To improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques.
· To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
· To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
· To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
As a school we have developed an Art Curriculum that fosters the school Curriculum Drivers. It is personalised and carefully planned to take into account the ‘Wellbeing and Nurture’ of children, the fundamental ‘Acquisition of Language’, provide ‘Experiential Learning’ to develop enquiring minds, build upon ‘Partnerships’ not only with parents but with galleries in the Wakefield area whilst ensuring a ‘Healthy Body and Healthy Mind’ as children develop their Growth Mindset and Resilience.
Please click the link below to view the content and progression in Art.